I have really fallen behind on documenting the wedding planning, haven't I? I must confess that I "lost it" for awhile. It was something that I never thought would happen to me (that I'd seen happen to other brides
online) but it did.
The DIY projects I was doing weren't going well. I tried to start my card box and it just wasn't working. We had a heck of a time trying to find the right size and shape boxes. I needed a square for the middle tier because I was making dice. Then we had a hard time finding black and red wrapping paper. I never found a true red so I gave up on that and just went with black.
The unicorn cuff links that we were trying to make for Mr. Glampants... couldn't find anything that we needed for them. Totally aggravating.
My cake table wooden letters were WAY more of a chore to do than I thought. I had to re-do them 3 times. Then I found out I could have just bought them at AC Moore already painted a glossy black. ARGH.
And on top of that, I had bridesmaid problems. Due to family reasons, M had to drop out. I was heartbroken but I was determined to suck it up and move ahead anyway. Luckily, I was able to replace her with our adult flower girl. So now I had no flower girl but at least the sides were still even with the guys and gals.
Then it was March 1st when I woke up with my heart pounding and I was totally stressed. And nothing had even happened that day yet! It was all too much. I knew something was wrong when I tried to do a quick little task right before work and I wanted to throw it across the room. All I had to do was put the personalized stickers onto the swirly lollipops that we'd ordered. Sounds easy, right? Ha! The stickers were made from vinyl and the company didn't cut them out very cleanly to peel from the sheet. So the sticker would tear a bit. I had to use scissors to clean up the jagged edge. This stupid project that was supposed to take 5 minutes (there were only 24 lollipops) was turning into a major headache. I started doing it fast and furiously, almost in tears. What was wrong with me??
So I posted to the boards on Project Wedding. This was where I always went when I was having wedding planning problems. I told the girls I was burnt out, didn't care anymore, was over the whole thing. They were super supportive and understanding. They suggested I take a hiatus for a week or even a month and let my head clear. FI even said "You've been doing this non-stop since August. You do need to take a break!"
A week without wedding planning? How odd. But it sounded heavenly! Mr. Glampants' birthday was that weekend and our 12 year dating anniversary was that week. Wouldn't it be great just to focus on US and not worry about the wedding? So I made a promise to myself there would be no wedding anything for a week. I didn't even read the boards on PW. The second I made this promise, I felt so much better! I felt lighter and my wedding stress was gone.
One week went by. I wasn't ready to come back yet. Two weeks went by. I felt better. I'd gained some perspective on everything. Details are great and I DO love details but it's not worth it to kill myself over them. What matters is that we get married. As long as the important tasks are finished, what gets done gets done. And if something doesn't, oh well!
So since then I have only been able to plan in small spurts. I have learned to be more productive this way. I do a little bit then step away from it. I don't overthink it. I don't second guess every decision I've made so far. I don't compare our wedding to another I see online. It's so easy to get swallowed up by it but I have learned my lesson. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment